Pages

Words of Wisdom

In life, we have to choose between the jeans and the cookie jar. Liz Hurley chose the jeans and I chose the cookie jar

~ Nigella Lawson....(on women's body image and her own voluptuous body)

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Everyone is beautiful but are we grateful?

Something that touched me deep happened tonight.

So many things were going through my mind as I walked to a shopping mall on the way home from work. I thought of that someone and how things went bad between us (my fault). I thought of my wishes. Troubles at work. Things that I read today.....etc....etc.

When I was walking around near a beauty section, I saw a married couple with their kids. 2 older pretty girls and 1 baby in a colourful flowery pram.

I walked past the father who was holding the handle of the pram and saw the baby.

What I saw tugged me at the heartstring. The peacefully sleeping baby had no nose and more than just a cleft. The upper side of the mouth was not formed and continue to the area where the nose should have been.

At that moment, I left my troubles in a bubble for awhile. I wanted nothing more than to hold that baby in my arms and whisper "You are beautiful, sweetheart". My eyes started to tear up. Seeing how peaceful the baby was, sleeping in the pram. Not yet knowing what this world could be and what the future would hold.

How ironic that we were at the beauty product section. A wave of shame swept through me. Beauty product sections in shopping malls exist because of our vanity and insecurity about our looks. Yet, who are we to complain that we're ugly when our Creator had given us everything in place?

I glanced at the parents of the baby and saw that despite it all, they were proud to show the world that this special child was theirs and that the child was celebrated in every way.

I walked back to my car, trying to hold back my tears. I didn't want the parents to see me like that. I got in my car, turned on the music with a slow rock song. I thought of the baby, Nikki Sixx's new song Lies of the Beautiful People and of course 'him'. Tears started trickling down my cheeks. Have I been ungrateful?

A car came to park beside mine. It was full of men when I turned my face to look. Maybe a family of father and sons. I bet they already saw me crying. I reversed my car to leave but I think those men were all curious about my teary eyes as they just stood there after getting out of their car.

I drove away with another lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment