Pages

Words of Wisdom

In life, we have to choose between the jeans and the cookie jar. Liz Hurley chose the jeans and I chose the cookie jar

~ Nigella Lawson....(on women's body image and her own voluptuous body)

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Singletons are more likely to get Alzheimer?

Just took a quick glance at the weekend paper (which subscription I haven't been paying for months). They have a 'health & lifestyle' section on weekends.

An article caught my attention. It said 'people who remain single are 2 times more likely to suffer from Alzheimer than their married counterparts'.

Hey! Who did this study?

I was on the way out for the day and didn't bother to read that much into it but what was that? As usual, I would always attempt to rationalize an argument like that, seeing things from the other person's point of view.

Maybe and just maybe that singletons tend to lose their brain usage a bit more because they only have one person to think about........themselves. Married people need to use their brains to think for the other person as well and also kids and family and in-laws.....whatever. What a crappy rationalization.

Maybe the author was talking about singletons who live in isolation. It's impossible to ignore other people when you live like I do. I'm an Asian Muslim and you know how family-oriented we can be. I look at my nephews and I do think about how their future will be. I watch the news on TV and faces of babies and children with blood all over due to cruelty of war and I wish they were all mine so I could shelter them from the atrocity.

Ok. Now back to the article. There must be more to it right?

Yes. There at the end. It said that 'divorcees are THREE times more likely to get Alzheimer'. Ha...ha....

So much for putting down singletons huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment