Pages

Words of Wisdom

In life, we have to choose between the jeans and the cookie jar. Liz Hurley chose the jeans and I chose the cookie jar

~ Nigella Lawson....(on women's body image and her own voluptuous body)

Monday, April 13, 2009

My Cookies Weekend turned into a Bag Lady weekend :-(

I had a plan for the whole of last week. I would try baking the Nestle Original Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies.

The plan didn't materialize sadly. As my mother's countertop was so over the top with piles and piles of plastic containers, a used-maybe-3-times-a-year fruit blender, a stand mixer with rusty attachments, plastic bags, kitchen rags and small half-opened bags of different types of flour. It was madness!

I had to stand on my feet the whole of Saturday afternoon taking everything away, washing and cleaning the containers. Getting rid of the stale contents inside them. Relocated and rearranged them at another spot that had similarly been piled by everybody with God knows what. Had
to clean up that area too. Ignorant people in the house actually prefer to leave a rotten egg reeking in that spot waiting for someone with a common sense to clean things up.




On Friday, you couldn't see the countertop at all! I cleaned it up to this. Got rid of the nightmare.

Rearranged my mum's mini pantry. I remember the old days before she fell sick. Everything in the kitchen had its place. She used to be that kind of woman. Not as efficient and organised as my maternal grandmother but her kitchen was never messy. Then, she got sick and everything fell apart. My siblings were too little at the time. Left 'untrained' on household disciplinary control.

I miss those days when I was little. I knew where my mother's home-made jams were. The cookies she made for me. The spices. The instant noodles packets she kept in the basket my father hung from the low ceiling. The kitchen was old and falling apart in some places but it was cozy and cheery.

Look at the labelling I did. I cut out the printing from the plastic bags and stuck them on the containers with cellophane tape. Easy!


My cleaning continued till Sunday afternoon. Afterwards, my legs ached and thank God one of my brother - the Obedient One came home. So, I handed him the task to take the trash in the black bag to the collection bin about 2km away.............driving my car of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment