Pages

Words of Wisdom

In life, we have to choose between the jeans and the cookie jar. Liz Hurley chose the jeans and I chose the cookie jar

~ Nigella Lawson....(on women's body image and her own voluptuous body)

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Started my day with roses and the day didn't end up rosy at all.......

Poor me.

My little sister came home a few days ago with a fever. On Saturday late afternoon, my parents decided to take her to the General Hospital after she complained about bad abdominal pains. Turned out she had a case of ruptured Appendicitis.

That evening, my parents called from the hospital asking me to be her company that night.

Oh, no! Not again. I hate having to sleep over at the hospital. I still remember the last time I had to spend nights there taking care of my mother. It was uncomfortable, the air conditioner was cruel on me and my sleep kept getting disrupted by nurses and doctors doing their duties. Not to mention looking after the sick person herself. It was exhausting.

I spent the night on a resting foldable 'beach' lounge thingy I borrowed from the ward's store room. Where the air-conditioner during my mother's time didn't work at all, the one where my sister is placed literally transported me to Europe pre-winter.

I wish I was wearing shoes. I had only flip-flops on my feet. No socks. No blanket. No warm jumper. I was freezing.

It was only appropriate that I tried to kill time by reading the new children fiction called The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It's about a boy who became orphaned when his family were killed one night.......one cold night........ and he was saved by a graveyard full of ghosts after the boy wandered accidentally there during the murders. Interesting huh? Why didn't I think of such an idea?

A brilliant book from author Neil Gaiman written partly in tribute to Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book.

I barely finished the 1st Chapter when my eyes just couldn't take it anymore.

My slumber wasn't very peaceful as the girl from another bed kept on making noises and whines about how painful her surgery had been. I wish I could just tell her to shut up.

Add to that, it was freezing that I kept on rubbing my toes fearing I would lose senses in them. Like a frostbite.

Woken up by an attendant asking me and my sister to prepare for the surgery. I was horrified to see dried blood at the edge of my right big toenail. It was so cold that it somehow caused some blood vessels to rupture there I think. Probably from the rubbing and bending I did that night.

After the morning prayer and my sister already got wheeled off to the surgery room, I called home to inform my parents that I was going home. My first plan was to shower at the hospital and hang around there for awhile. In the end, I couldn't take it. The chill was cutting to my bones, my toe was bleeding, my nose felt blocked and my face was red and painful around the nasal area.

Oh, there is just no place like home...............peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment