Pages

Words of Wisdom

In life, we have to choose between the jeans and the cookie jar. Liz Hurley chose the jeans and I chose the cookie jar

~ Nigella Lawson....(on women's body image and her own voluptuous body)

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Cookies Weekend!

Had a "cookies weekend" a week ago.

Felt like trying out a few recipes I collected and see if they turned out the way the recipe writers had theirs.

First up was the Marble Cookies.

Marble cookies 1

So the shapes aren't uniformed. So what? This is home cooking.

Marble cookies closeup

The taste is GOOD.

Marble Cookies Recipe:

The plain side:
180g butter
65g caster sugar
135g plain flour
70g corn starch
50g custard powder

The coco side:
180g butter
100g caster sugar
135g plain flour
70g corn starch
50g cocoa powder

Method:
1. Separately, beat the ingredients together for each dough.
2. Somehow I started with the dry ingredients and added in the margarine last like bread dough. I'm not sure if the result is different if the fats are beaten first.
3. Roll each dough into a long shape and stick them together.
4. Put it in the fridge for about 10min or till the dough is strong enough to hold its shape when you slice it.
5. Bake till golden brown. If it's too brown, the cocoa side will be bitter.

I did not bother to put mine in the fridge, thus the "variety" of shapes.....haha.

Second is the Choc Chip Cookies.

Boobie Choc Chip cookies 1

I made them tiny so they fit nicely to my nephews' hands. Thus, the single choc chip. However.........

Boobie Choc Chip cookies closeup

.......up close, the cookies look like little fake boobies with very brown chocolatey nipples.

Choc Chip Cookies Recipe:

250g plain flour (sifted)
100g butter
100g sugar
50g walnut (optional)
50g choc chips
30g Crisco (any vegetable shortening)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:
1. Beat the butter and shortening together till fluffy. Actually I used margarine for mine.
2. Beat the sugar in, then the egg and vanilla essence.
3. Add in the choc chips and walnut. I didn't have nuts when I made mine though.
4. Add in the flour little by little till thoroughly mixed.
5. Bake until golden brown.


Third is the Samperit Cookies or the Custard Cookies which I never successfully made before.

Samperit hani 1

I'm no expert at piping out cookies. I'm proud of this though. These are the products from my hands not some factory assembly line. Each has its own "character".

Samperit hani closeup

The taste is DIVINE. Finally, I succeeded with Samperit Cookies.

Samperit Cookies Recipe:

225g butter
110g icing sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
70g corn starch
120g custard powder
170g plain flour

Method:
1. Beat butter and and sugar till soft and fluffy. Yes, I used margarine. It's cheap!
2. Beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
3. Sift the corn starch, custard powder and plain flour together first before adding to the wet mixture.
4. Your batter should be soft and "pipeable".
5. Use any type of cookie pipe you like. I chose this one for the classic look of Samperit.
6. Bake till they start to brown just a little.

Reason for celebration!

As un-chef-like my cookies look, they disappeared from the cookie jars within 3 days. The little nephews love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment